I have been back a couple of time to the Gerbera and I think that I have sorted out a couple of problems and improved some others. I have decided to stop fiddling with it as it is in danger of being overworked and loosing any of the freshness it has.
What I have done after the very helpful comments from fellow bloggers and friends is to
- I looked at the shapes as a whole and shaded it accordingly, in the calyx especially it now curves around and works so much better.
- With the petals I also treated them as a whole and lightened the petals as the front and darkened those at the back. This has helped and I am better pleased with the outcome if not completely happy.
- I didn’t touch the background, have really come to like it.
So it has been a difficult painting but I certainly learnt a lot from it and that is a great outcome. See below for the First Draft and the final.